Banner Ad

Friday, March 19, 2010

How Old Is Your Dog?

Every afternoon I bring my dogs to the park, it’s a good place for them to play and socialize not only with other dogs but with people as well. It is where I get the chance to relax and meet new friends too. And as always we begin talking about dogs and more often they will ask this question “How old is your dog?” Followed by “How old would that be in human? Tough question to speculate, but lucky for me I did my homework. And this is what I learned from Dogster.com

The well-liked delusion is that a dog gets 7 years old each year; others think it's even 10. But the thing is canine aging is quicker during the first 2 years of its life. After the first 2 years the ratio settles down to 5 to 1 for small and medium breeds. For large breeds the rate is 6 to 1, and for giant breeds the rate is 7 to 1.

Example, at 10 years of age a Great Dane would be 80 years old while a pug would only be 64. (Please refer to the Chart)

But what if you've taken a dog whose age is unknown? Well, Vets have other ways to estimate dog's age like checking on their teeth, muscle tone, eyes and coat. You can read more about it at Dogster.com


2 comments:

  1. Love the chart! (I think I recieved that same email from dogster too). Its good to know that the famous 7-1 ratio that many people have in regards to telling how old a dog is, is inaccurate, the only thing is that it wouldn't be practicle to sit there and try to explain all this to the person we are talking to...we'll sound a tad strange. Unless you carry a chart like this in your wallet/purse!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this. It's very helpful!

    ReplyDelete

 
Monitor link